Tranel Talks Column

Employment Data Identity Theft Guide


  • Notify your employer
  • If you have subscribed to IDShield, call them at (888) 494-8519 to report the identity theft. Have your account number available or give individual information to gain access.
  • They will file fraud alerts with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion
  • Set up an account with SSA.GOV if you do not already have one:
  • Request your free credit reports via
  • If you do not have the IDShield benefit, place a fraud alert with each of the three Credit Bureaus (listed below) by contacting each one individually.
  • Consider putting a freeze on your credit report – but request your free credit report and create your account on SSA.GOV first, then freeze. Once your reports are frozen, anyone who tries to open an account in your name should be thwarted. But remember: If you want to apply for a loan, or credit card, you will need to unfreeze your reports first.

Credit Reporting Agency Phone Numbers and Website Information:

  1. Equifax – (800) 685-1111 or
  2. Experian – (888) 397-3742 or
  3. TransUnion – (888) 909-8872 or
  • File a form at the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) – online at: or by phone at (877) ID-THEFT
  • File IRS form #14039 (Identity Theft Affidavit) – fax to (855) 807-5720 or mail to the address on the bottom right-hand side of the second page of the document

Example text for comment section:

Claimant # #######.  I was notified by my employer, EMPLOYER NAME, that they received a Notice of Claim (or I received a Notice of Claim in the mail), from the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), that was tied to my name, social security number and employment information.  This is a fraudulent claim as I am still employed.  I did not submit that claim.


This is a guideline. We are here to help make your day amazing. Please let us know if you have any questions